Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm back and so is the sun : )

So I know it has a couple of weeks but here I am again and the sun is back and I think we may even have some heat again....I'm whining because yesterday I thought it was going to snow it was so cold and windy and I do believe it is the middle of June : )


OK so here is what has been happening the last couple of weeks.....the guys finished roofing the wing and got it ready to log side once the windows got here.
You can see we put some hand peeled logs on the corners for the log siding to run into.
This is the day before windows came so they started the log siding. That is the front door for my parents wing.
Next day windows came and you see here they where putting in the last one in the wing.

Noah is outside waiting to hear if it is OK to nail it in....
Inside Cliff and Dylan are making sure it is in straight.
Then back outside to finish log siding the gable end and most of both sides almost had enough to finish now we will get some on our next delivery.

At the end of the day Noah on the left helped one of our home owners Kevin who came by to help us with getting our phones and cables wired in .
This is Kevin & Michele's home they built themselves a couple of years ago. And Kevin is big time into Christmas can you tell. This is a Lake Vista on a basement that house's the 2 car garage and family room / exercise room.
Inside is Kevin & Michele's tree. Just for your info we do an annual Group ( anybody who wants to go group) gathering for Christmas trees and Kevin's says he gets the biggest tree !
Then Sat we held an Open House in another couples home outside of Battle Ground WA.

Dave & Tamara are nice enough to open their home once a year. Again they also wanted to build their own home.
This is looking from the loft of their version of a Lakeview I.
So after the Open house we drove about 30 miles to another town to look at a stove that I found on Craig's list. You see my hubby is the best cook ever and he has always wanted a big boy stove and so I have been looking for the last 2 months online trying to find a good deal on a Wolf range and last week found one and so we took a trailer with us in case it was in fact a good deal and you can see below it was.....
So Sunday after Church some of our friends & customers came by to help get the stove into the house....you see it was around 700 lbs.
Once in it had wheels to help move it around but we where really happy to have the help of Thane ( in black T) and Justin our other son ( in baseball cap ).
Here is Julie ( with Haley the granddaughter ) with Thane her son ( Black T ) and Tom next to him and Cliff with his back to us and that is Julie's husband Bill at the end.
Below is a picture of Bill & Julie's latest project inside the Library Bill built this whole wall unit in their Creek III you can see other pictures on our site in the Profile.
Then this is a picture inside Tom & Carla's Woodside II....So whose tree is bigger Tom & Carla's or Kevin & Michele's ?????

OK so back to our project now with before and after pictures of the family room window.


We are also changing the door that goes from our eating area out to our porch so below you see old door on the grass and new slider on the deck.

We had to cut open the size of this and in doing that I got a chance to show you how the logs connect one to another. Our home is of the old method of 12" spikes now we use 12" logs that are at least 3/4" thick. So they are close to same size....
Notice the plastic is up to try and keep saw dust at bay.....
This is an interesting site ...see the chainsaw blade just left of the tile and it is saw dust raining in the kitchen as Dylan is cutting out for the new Bay window.
Sometime people ask if the logs are connected good enough will I can say for sure after this cut out and the wall we took out before that I think they are VERY connected and if there was something going on I want to be in our home.
Got one other one at the top to come out.....
And this one at the bottom take care of that hole....
Look close and you can see Dylan is cutting off the tongues of the logs for the window to sit down smooth on top of the log.
This is showing you a 2 x 6 window buck that is slotted for nails this way if the logs move the window doesn't.
This is the before look of the one kitchen window and upper cabinets .....
After....but not done : ) Remember if you click on picture it will get bigger.....come back!



2 comments:

Shelley said...

Chris,
Loved all the photos today! You're making good progress.
I really liked seeing Tom, Carla's, Kevin and Michele's christmas photos w/ their large trees! I can't wait to decorate our log home for our first Christmas there this year.
P.S. I added you to my fave log cabin links today - I've been meaning to for a while!

Jen said...

Hi Chris-
Thanks for visiting my blog "unglazed". I have been on vacation, so sorry for the slow response to you. You are one busy gal here I see~~Wow! This addition is almost like starting from scratch. Your part of the country looks beautiful, but I have never been to OR.
Also love the picture with the rainbow here; is that from your trip to HI?
I'll visit again soon, I have catching up to do since I've been gone. Blessings~ Jen